Saturday, May 12, 2018

Again - by esteban


i wrote these words over a thousand years ago – “like a lily among thorny weeds, so is my girl among all girls and my love for her will never end” – and meant them for you

as we lay on sand warming each other under stars, in cuneiform i drew them next to us and later chiseled them in stone and someone, i don’t know who, passed them, in ancient alphabets, to the future

and they’ve lasted until now and will forever because they are true

that night, your head rested under my left hand and i stroked your belly with my right hand

“my beautiful companion,” i said, “come away with me – blossoms have appeared in the land, vines give birth to sweetness, our season has arrived, at sunrise we will pick grapes and eat the fruits of our labor”

and you kissed my mouth saying i tasted like apples and i said, “girl companion of mine, you have the ocean in your eyes, an ocean holding the lights of heaven”

i was just a boy, a mere shepherd, and you chose me above all men reminding me how long and far you searched for me “searched the streets and public squares to no avail” until one day, when i asked for water from your well, you exclaimed you found me though we had just met

we kissed again and you tasted like pomegranate seeds and smelled of honey

and our hearts would not let us sleep and we became drunk on our affections and wondered until the sun rose what would become of us

No comments:

Where are you? by esteban a martinez

you will never hear my words brute tongue did not mean what it said i did not say that i am not good with words you will never hea...